Structure - practical steps
In this most recent period, I have been working hard toward necessary preparation to complete project.
After extensive outline and sequencing and a great deal of ongoing study of conventional narrative structure, I completed printed draft of screenplay this morning.
I am presently doing a readthrough to identify immediate areas requiring revision. After I am more satisfied that draft is cohesive and with all narrative threads adequately developed, I will circulate to trusted parties for feedback.
This immediate draft is under projected run time. I initially anticipated being over and needing to wean it down. I do not want to "pad" but this present version is ‘action description heavy’ which may “under-report" actual elapsed time. There are also several non-realistic Interval interludes I wish to add to narrative. This version gives me a clear sense of the time available to do so.
A key part of the work was physically sequencing work
so I could have visual referents to combine:
-Snyder’s ‘Save the Cat’ beats
-Eight sequence structure
-and although not explicitly written–– Vogler, Campbell, Hague key milestones.
The central resources of research during this period:
Was screenwriting workshop with Michael Hague and Chris Vogler re Heroes two journeys (inner and outer): fashioning an approach from Hague’s well-known story structure and Vogler's hero’s journey approach adapted from Joseph Campbell.
I also have been reading J. McKee’s ‘Dialogue’ which considers how structure/Dramatic tension may be reflected and built through dialogue.
In addition to structural research, on the practical front,
1. movie scheduling software and screenwriting software
2. readied Harenzumi camera
-reviewed Maddin’s Forbidden Room for- which partially used a Zumi camera
3. Took AE ‘Up and Running’ coursework, completed steps 1 - 4
4. revisited Deep Dream
5. through other professional project, learned of PR/media company which may be able to assist with some of production needs; have a sample reel to review
6. Began AE training on motion training
7. completed AE Essential Training
8. Viewings included LaLa Land - excess; Split- pathologizing disability; Lion
Also, communication with Lead–needs surgery, not available until April, which will adjust timeline.
1. I have been given some other tasks to do:
2. E version of the book released within week; Physical in three
-revision to script
-on physical board– review unused bits I have highlighted for possible use
-C-review previous bits in electronic database and physical notebooks
-finalize production dates– casting meetings